Complex Legal Advisor
Birkenhead or Liverpool
Deal with all aspects of litigated and non – litigated personal injury claims, predominantly RTA claims. Handling what are generally complex cases dropped from the portal, which may be fast and/or low-end multi track in value. The claims are complex in nature and time consuming with often overlapping symptoms/injuries, significant pre-existing problems, stayed cases and/or difficult clients. The work is both challenging but rewarding.
Portal experience is essential as a number of the cases referred into the team are stayed and require applications to lift or extend the stay.
The role is to handle these cases to a satisfactory conclusion but more importantly to move these cases from portal to fast track and /or multi track maximising damages and costs.
Have a good working knowledge of the CPR and/or and other relevant case law and/or legislation and progressing defences in a timely manner in accordance with the CPR.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ensure clients (lay and insurance) are kept informed and up to date on a regular basis throughout the life of the claim
- Build a rapport by speaking/meeting with clients when possible to ensure a consistency of service and to ensure insurers loyalty to the Firm
- Check the authenticity and validity of claims by speaking with clients regularly on potentially difficult files
- Build a relationship with clients to minimise the possibility of complaints and to enhance the reputation of the Firm and the service it provides
- Ensure that any relevant insurer is kept updated and fully informed as to the progress of any claims to reduce any potential exposure/liability and to increase saving
- Maintain pro- active communication with clients (lay and insurance) to ensure all heads of claim are discussed with the client at the outset and throughout the claim
- Obtain all relevant documentation from clients at the outset
- Obtain relevant medical reports and progress claims in a timely manner
- Discuss liability and/or quantum offers with the relevant parties, making use of the telephone rather than letter whenever possible
- Consider, and advise clients on, issues of contributory negligence as and when they may arise
- Prioritise incoming daily post/emails and dealing with anything needing urgent attention while the remainder of the post is dealt with expeditiously and in order of importance and productivity
- This role is about driving portal claims into the fastrack and/or multi track maximising both damages and costs
- Ensure clients receive an excellent level of service and good outcome
- Assist new or less experienced members of the team with any issues in terms of clients, referrers, external agencies and procedure etc.
- Liaise with Team Leader and/or Head of Department to take more contentious files and deal with them under supervision to expand knowledge and experience
- Where applicable increase numbers of multi-track cases within caseload to further develop own level of experience
Experience & Knowledge:
- A Solicitor, ILEX qualified or file handler of at least 5 years’ experience in the personal injury field
- A handler who has had experience of technical fastrack claims and must also have a working knowledge of the portal process
- A handler who has had experience of dealing with complex claims or claims which are technical in nature
- A proven track record of running a successful fast and/or multi track caseload within a personal injury environment
- Excellent client care and analytical skills, to include providing written and oral advice in a clear concise manner
- The ability to liaise and build up a rapport by using effective communication with all external agencies during the life of a claim including medical agencies, investigators, barristers etc
- The ability to create and foster a “can do” culture to raise efficiency and productivity
- Good IT skills with a sound working knowledge of Solcase or a similar case management system and essential MS Office knowledge
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, with a calm and methodical approach to work, and a flexible and adaptable attitude to resolving issues