Tithebarn Street Liverpool
To undertake advocacy requirements arising within all of the firm’s Legal Departments, and to ensure the provision of a high quality, efficient and cost effective service. Advocacy will include but is not limited to Stage 3 hearings, Infant Settlement hearings, CMCs, CCMCs and directions hearings.
To play an active role in developing and delivering advocacy training for trainee solicitors and other legal advisers, working alongside the Legal Training Department.
To explore and develop the role to encompass further areas where Carpenters can offer advocacy services as part of its offering to source clients.
To provide advice, research, analysis and drafting where required.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- To be responsible for the provision of advocacy arising from cases within the legal departments
- To be able to provide advice to legal advisers and managers on the best format to present cases at Court
- To assist in developing appropriate processes and documentation for the case management system in relation to representation at Court
- To identify cases where commercially it would be tactically advantageous to settle or proceed to a final hearing
- Keep up to date with all industry changes including case law, legislation and other matters of relevance
- Perform to a high level in a target orientated environment
- To provide guidance on technical issues involving quantum, liability and litigation to other members of the Legal Departments
- To highlight any potential risks to management
- To undertake any other tasks as deemed relevant and reasonable by the business
Experience & Knowledge:
- Must be a Solicitor or Barrister
- A solid working knowledge of the CPR, legislation and relevant case law
- Excellent advocate and litigator with strong drafting skills and the ability to recognise issues as they arise and provide commercial sound solutions
- Team player and acts as a role model to colleagues, working to achieve business and team goals
- Excellent research and problem solving skills with the ability to convey complex legal and factual issues to a variety of audiences
- Ability to provide clear direction and advice and be accountable for advice provided
- Competent working with a case management system and good knowledge of MS Office
- At least 12 months to 2 years’ experience of undertaking advocacy on a regular basis
- Having undertaken the BVC or have Higher Rights of Audience
- Strong communication skills and ability to lead by example
- Experience of undertaking Stage 3 and Infant Approval Hearings
- Maintain a positive attitude, self-motivated and uses own initiative in problem solving
- Resilient under pressure - able to deal with a fast paced changing environment whilst still achieving objectives
- Takes opportunities to develop and stretch themselves and be passionate about developing a career in personal injury and with Carpenters