Legal Advisor - Defence
Tithebarn Street Liverpool
The successful applicant will be required to have relevant experience in handling Defence claims with particular expertise and industry knowledge in the field of credit hire litigation.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Deal with all aspects of defending litigated and non–litigated credit hire claims.
- Have excellent and in depth knowledge of credit hire litigation.
- Have an understanding of the insurer clients reserving philosophy ensuring all reserves are accurate and up to date.
- Have a good working knowledge of the CPR and/or and other relevant case law and/or legislation and progressing defences in a timely manner in accordance with the CPR.
- Have an understanding and be able to advise on matters of RTA liability, quantum and causation.
- Have a good working knowledge and where appropriate advise on/progress claims involving technical arguments such as indemnity/RTA/Article 75 Insurer issues, resiling from admissions, and pursuing non-parties to litigation.
- Instruct Counsel, to attend conferences, hearings and CMC’s etc.
- Undertake telephone advocacy when appropriate e.g. allocation hearings and CMCs.
- Take a pragmatic commercial approach to settlements and advising clients as to litigation/cost risks.
- Ensure any appropriate instructions are obtained from any relevant insurer clients.
- Ensure any appropriate instructions are obtained from any relevant lay clients.
- Prioritise urgent schedule entries and dealing with remainder of daily tasks on To Do list.
- Ensure clients are kept informed and up to date on a regular basis throughout the life of the claim.
- Build a rapport by speaking/meeting with clients when possible to ensure a consistency of service and to ensure insurer’s loyalty to the Firm
- Check the authenticity and validity of claims by speaking with clients regularly on potentially complex files
- Build a relationship with clients (lay and insurer) to minimise the possibility of complaints and to enhance the reputation of the Firm and the service it provides
- Ensure that any relevant insurer is kept updated and fully informed as to the progress of any claims to reduce any potential exposure/liability and to increase indemnity savings
- Maintain pro-active communication with clients to ensure all heads of claim are discussed with the client at the outset and throughout the claim.
- Obtain all relevant documentation from clients at the outset.
- Discuss liability and/or quantum offers with the relevant parties, making use of the telephone rather than letter/email whenever possible.
- Prioritise incoming daily post/emails and dealing with anything needing urgent attention while the remainder of the post is dealt with expeditiously and in order of importance and productivity
- Assist new or less experienced members of the team with any issues in terms of clients, referrers, external agencies and procedure etc.
- Liaise with Team Leader and/or Head of Department to take more contentious files and deal with them under supervision to expand knowledge and experience
Experience & Knowledge:
- A Solicitor, ILEX qualified or file handler of at least 3 years’ experience in the credit hire field
- A proven track record of running a successful small/ fast and/or multi track caseload within the credit hire environment
- Must be known as an industry leader within the field of credit hire litigation having an in depth knowledge of that subject
- Excellent client care and analytical skills, to include providing written and oral advice in a clear concise manner
- The ability to liaise and build up a rapport by using effective communication with all external agencies during the life of a claim
- Good IT skills with a sound working knowledge of Visual Files or a similar case management system and essential MS Office knowledge.
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, with a calm and methodical approach to work, and a flexible and adaptable attitude to resolving issues.