Network & Systems Engineer
Birkenhead & Liverpool
We are seeking a Network & Systems Engineer to provide daily operational support activities
including incident & problem management of our portfolio of systems, and the development and
maintenance of software and hardware solutions to business requirements.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage the company’s internal IT and networking services.
- Prepare and maintain systems architecture diagrams to document and facilitate support
for all systems.
- Working with the Information Security team, ensure the security of data, networks, and
- Project manage hardware and software configuration upgrades.
- Identify problematic systems/issues and propose and implement strategic solutions.
- Evaluate possible solutions and new technologies, including cost/benefit analyses to
identify and recommend the strategic solution.
- Feed into the overall IT budgeting process to ensure efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
- Utilise the Service Desk system to log work and assist with resolving escalated end-user
issues of all natures as required.
- Demonstrate drive and enthusiasm, innovating and working with minimal direction,
meeting requirements, and delivering to a high standard.
- Manage, support and coach other engineers in the team at a technical level.
- Act as an escalation point for out of hours calls on a rota
Experience and Knowledge
You will be someone who is self-motivated and focussed. You will demonstrate initiative and ownership. You value others and their contribution and enjoy working collaboratively with colleagues. You will be flexible and adaptable to change. In addition, you will have many of the following skills:
- Demonstrable working knowledge & experience in relevant LAN / WAN, routing and switching technologies including: MPLS, BGP, OSPF, VXLAN, VRF, Policy Based Routing, Linux
- Demonstrable working knowledge & experience in Firewalls
- Network troubleshooting skills including packet capture and analysis
- Understanding or experience in Extreme Networks / Avaya / Nortel technologies (or equivalent)
- Strong understanding and significant experience in installing, configuring and managing virtualisation technologies, including VMware vCenter and Citrix
- Understanding of cloud-based wireless and wired network management solutions
- Appropriate academic or industry qualifications / certifications
- Experience of administering Office 365 (including Microsoft Teams)
- Experience of administering Azure
- Experience of using PowerShell for scripting automations / integrations
- The ability to develop requirements into fully realised systems
- Backup and Disaster Recovery management experience
- Endpoint management, MDM, SCCM, Intune
- Understanding and experience of administering an enterprise-grade phone system, e.g. Avaya Aura Elite
- Line management or mentorship of junior colleagues