Software Engineering Manager
Tithebarn Street Liverpool
Hours of Work: 37 hours per Week
Monday–Thursday 9am – 5.30pm
Friday 9am – 5pm
We are recruiting for a Software Engineering Manager to join our IT Leadership Team.
The successful candidate will help define our innovation strategy, and work with the existing team to develop software and process that will drive efficiencies across the business.
Using best of breed technology, you will be responsible for leading, managing and motivating the development function to deliver solutions and services that will help shape and drive our business forward.
Being an ideas person, this is an opportunity to define a role within our organisation that will not only change the way that we develop solutions, but also how development can facilitate change at the core of the business.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead the software design, agile development, automated testing and automated release of highly available and highly scalable commercial products.
- Work with the CIO, with input from architects to develop the technology roadmap for CG software that will deliver the required future business capabilities.
- Interpret and negotiate business requirements to deliver high quality, customer focused solutions.
- Define software methodologies and standards to ensure that solutions are high in quality and success is repeatable.
- Ensure that software solutions are fit for purpose, fully regression testable and therefore cost effective, delivered on schedule and to functional and non-functional specifications.
- Manage relationships with 3rd party providers of software solutions and development/testing /hosting services. Constantly seek to improve the quality of all 3rd party development and test deliverables.
- As a senior member of the CG IT team you will be expected to lead by example instilling a can do attitude within the team whilst also building strong relationships with key stakeholders from across the business.
- To lead the team to deliver a quality product in a fast-paced environment without compromising the stability of service to the CG business.
- To work with multiple business stakeholders and prioritise supply / demand challenges from major programmes through to small change and service fixes.
- To effectively manage relationships with IT partners and suppliers through a mix of experience and commercial acumen.
- Provide reporting into the business so that there is clear visibility of all the work in the development team.
- Upgrade the technology currency and ensure the team’s skills, standards and tools are relevant for a modern IT team.
- Responsible for setting the standard, coaching and mentoring the engineering team.
- Grow the talent pool through key hires, managing retention risks and smart sourcing strategies.
- Influence wider IT strategy by building and maintaining key relationships across CG.
- Introduce a culture of innovation while not losing focus on major delivery commitments.
- Personally stay relevant through effective networking, learning and knowledge sharing across Business and IT.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Experience in a similar role
- Experience leading a multi-disciplined team
- Software engineering background covering Microsoft stack technologies including .net, SQL, Azure etc.
- Dev Ops Experience
- Automated Testing
- Software Deployment
- Development governance
- Sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on company’s success
- Critical thinker
- Problem Solver
- Good understanding of software lifecycle management using agile, waterfall etc.
- Team player
- Excellent time-management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent Stakeholder Management Skills
- Strong team building skills
- Detail Oriented.
- Ability to be objective
Here at Carpenters group diversity and inclusion matters, it is integral to our culture and we welcome applications from everyone. We celebrate difference and believe in equal opportunities for all.
- Minimum 25 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Hybrid working model
- 2 x Volunteering days to support charitable initiatives
- Matched Giving – up to £250 matched for personal charity fundraising for a registered charity
- Medicash cash plan – claim back dental / physio / optical appointments
- My Medicash App – including access to rapid digital physiotherapy and skin cancer screening assessments plus fitness videos and wellbeing tools
- Discounts and cash back on travel and shopping through Medicash extras
- Life Assurance Scheme (4 x salary)
- Pension scheme
- Funded driving theory test (in relevant role)
- Active network of Wellbeing Champions – providing mental health support
- Training and development opportunities
- Funded social events to connect with your colleagues
- Dress for your day policy